Below is my weekly email to the Tonganoxie UMC congregation. I share it here so that others can keep in touch with what the church is up to. Let me know if you’d like to be added to the list to receive the note weekly.
Dear Tonganoxie UMC Family,
I hope that you have had a wonderful week and that you have been able to take advantage of the beautiful weather! This Sunday we are officially ringing in the new school year here at the church and I am really excited for all of the great things going on. Our Bell choir will be assisting in worship at the 10:30 service, the chancel choir will rehearse after the 10:30 service in preparation for assisting in worship next Sunday and a variety of educational programs for people of all ages kick-off. In today’s email I want to share some details about these various activities as well as a word about the 10th anniversary of 9/11.
Sunday School Starts
On Sunday at 9:30 a new year of Sunday School begins with opportunities for all ages!
- Preschool (3 years) through 4th grade will be Living Inside Out! (downstairs in Hughes Hall)
- 5th – 8th grade will “Grapple” with common issues they face everyday while using our brand new laptop computers (downstairs in the computer room)
- 9th – 12th (and College-aged) will explore faith and every day issues (this week this class will be assisting with the younger group in Hughes Hall)
- Adult Sunday School Class will continue meeting in the Parlor upstairs. This class is led by Laurence and Jean Hill
- Crossroads Sunday School Class will be using the Nooma films as a guide for discussion (upstairs in the conference room). I look forward to leading this class.
We will be celebrating all of this back-to-school fun with a big picnic/party outside on Sunday evening at 5pm. Plan to join us for a great time! Hot dogs and drinks will be provided, you are invited to bring a side dish to share.
Youth Group Kicks Off This Thursday
This Thursday marks a very exciting time in the life of our church’s Youth Group as they kick-off a new weekly gathering. All youth in the 5th – 12th grades are invited to gather for this exciting time of fun, fellowship, and faith development. Plan to be to Hughes Hall by 7pm on 9/15 for an exciting start to an exciting year!
10 years ago Sunday is a day that will long be remembered as a defining day for our country and our world, 9/11/01. In remembrance of this day we are hosting a prayer vigil upstairs in our chapel from 11:30-3:30 on Sunday. I have put together a prayer guide that will walk you through a guided time of prayer and reflection. I hope that you’ll plan to make it a point to come and spend a few minutes in prayer and reflection as we mark this anniversary. You might also want to let your friends and neighbors know about this opportunity as we have designed this vigil to be open to the community.
If you are interested in exploring some more resources regarding the anniversary of 9/11, particularly as they pertain to our faith, I would invite you to visit the special page set-up by the United Methodist Church here.
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend and look forward to seeing you in worship on Sunday as we continue our “Lessons from the Farm” series and celebrate the beginning of a new year of Sunday School.
Grace and Peace,